JANUARY 2023 FLASH ON THE FLY HORROR WRITING CONTEST
SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
Submissions are open now, January 20 at 10AM EST and will close in 48 hours on January 22 at 10AM EST. No submissions will be accepted before or after the open window.
Theme: DATE NIGHT
Write a HORROR/SCI-FI flash fiction story, 500-1000 words (FIRM LIMITS) that fits the theme “Date Night”. We are open to any interpretation of the theme.
Please keep reading for full guidelines!
(Please note: “Flash on the Fly” means flash fiction written quickly & without much preparation. It does not mean flash fiction about The Fly.)
- Stories should be previously unpublished, written in standard manuscript format, and sent as a .doc file.
- Name your .doc file with your story title and your last name, then attach it to the email.
- In the subject box, type: SUBMISSION, YOUR STORY TITLE, & YOUR LAST NAME.
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stories will be judged on adherence to the theme, quality of storytelling, and originality. Given the speedy nature of this challenge, minimal judging will be based on spelling, grammar, and typos.
- We will aim to select a winner within 3 weeks of the closing deadline and will announce the winner publicly on our website and across social media.
- Due to the fast turnaround of this contest, only the author of the winning story will receive a response.
- Winner will receive $50.00 USD via PayPal.
- Publisher will receive rights to publish the story on our website. Author will retain all rights to their story. Please review this sample publishing agreement prior to submitting: Flash on the Fly Publishing Agreement.
- Stories will be judged by Red Lagoe.
TIPS based on Red’s personal preferences:
- Consider not writing the first idea that comes to mind. Come up with a second and third idea. Which is the best? Many times, an author’s first idea is also everyone else’s first idea.
- Be original. Don’t be afraid to be weird, gross, smart, violent, funny, gory, sexy, or subtle… so long as these things have a purpose to the story and fit the theme.
- The theme is Date Night, but please keep in mind that Red does not want to read violent depictions of date rape. She’s not opposed to people exploring this kind of trauma on the page; however, there’s not enough room in a flash fiction story to do so with sensitivity.
- Red loves a story that steals her breath, or punches her in the gut, pierces her heart, or leaves her jaw on the floor.
Best of luck to all who decide to enter!
3 thoughts on “FLASH ON THE FLY 48-HR WINDOW CLOSED”
Are sub sims okay?
Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please email to withdraw from the contest immediately if it is picked up elsewhere.
So excited for this!!!
LikeLiked by 1 person